During a walk through the main square, it is worth stopping in front of the town hall, as it is one of the most beautiful monuments of secular Baroque architecture. The building surrounds a quiet courtyard, which is a special place for city holidays.
Originally, it was only the part facing the main square, but already in the XVII century it functioned as a town hall. Looking up above the basket-arched, keystone gate, you can see a beautiful baroque wrought-iron balcony, where the decrees were once promulgated and important information for the Vácians waiting in the main square.
On the façade above the balcony, the coat of arms of the city is depicted in an ornate frame, and on the topmost, semicircular façade there is a statue of Justicia, the Greek goddess of truth, and to the right and left of her, a female figure holding a Hungarian and Migazzi coat of arms. Justicia wasn't placed on the building by accident either. At the time of construction, both the administration and the judiciary were among the duties of the city's management. The first man in the city was the city magistrate, his deputy was called mayor. The importance of impartial justice was emphasized by placing the statue.
In the interiors, the original vaulted passages have been preserved, and in these patinated rooms the various departments of the office are housed.
From Eszterházy Street, the building continues with an Art Nouveau side wing, which was built around 1910 according to the plans of the city's chief architect, Kálmán Váczy Hübschl. Today, it is in this part of the building that the ceremonial hall of the town hall is located.
Finally, in the 1980s, in 1986 György Szrogh, a State Prize-winning architect, built the wing facing Tabán Street and the Merciful Hospital, thus becoming a closed courtyard.
2600 Vác, March 15th Square 11.