The Pannonia House is one of the emblematic buildings near the Vienna Gate leading out of the main square, which is a few minutes' walk from March 15th Square.
At the entrance you can immediately see the characteristic vaulted gate, behind which the one-story building housed the Golden Deer Inn and Manorial Tavern from the middle of the 18th century to 1889. Upstairs there were 7 guest rooms and a ballroom. Prestigious events in the city were also held here.
In the Reform era, in the courtyard of the inn, in the carriage shed, wandering theatre companies performed. Sándor Petőfi himself performed and stayed in the inn several times. In addition to the tavern, cellar and guest rooms, the building also housed a credential room, and to the right of the gate opened the door of a dealership.
From the 1890s, the new owner renamed it the Pannonia Inn and operated a restaurant on the site of the tavern. It is also clear from this that it was a well-known and busy place among guests. However, the hectic XX century did not favor the inn. The building housed the first Hungarian Serfőzde, later it functioned as a cinema and a cultural house. Beneath the patinated building – as in the other buildings on the main square – there is a huge cellar. Since the 2000s, it has become an exhibition space.
Today, the popular Sajdik Collection, an exhibition presenting the masterpieces of European cast ironwork, can also be found here. The upstairs ceremonial hall is a venue for temporary exhibitions and prestigious events. In the courtyard there is an open-air exhibition by ceramic artist Andrea Vertel, and a mural by Norbert Garay evokes the former Golden Deer Inn. In summer, the courtyard is also a place for outdoor programs.
The Sajdik exhibition is a real family program with interactive opportunities for younger children as well.
H-2600 Vác, Republic u. 19.